Friday, July 16, 2010

Pen & Sword: Both Mighty In The Hands Of Patti Smith



Long before the term was widely used, Patti Smith rocked the freegan lifestyle. She roamed the streets of New York at night rescuing mattresses, lamps, and any objects with at least one breath of vitality left in them. Curbside garbage became profound art at the hands of this true mother of reinvention. Besides being beautifully written, her book Just Kids showcases her thrifty and resourceful qualities as a college drop out in the city. Of all her penny pinching activities my most beloved is her grooming decisions. I'm proud of putting the scissors in my own hands and creating a fringe from my once long layers, but I cower in fear at the idea of chopping any locks beyond the frame of my face. Smith, along with her lover and friend Robert Mapplethorpe, felt no hesitation in cutting their own manes. Smith's best cut took her from Joan Baez to Mick Jagger in minutes. Her folk singer 'do is pictured above. If you are prone to fits of jealous rage I suggest you shield your eyes from the edgy photo below.

No comments:

Post a Comment